Ongoing Construction Activities 7/24/2023
Crews this week will continue with the concrete curb, gutter, asphalt, and sidewalk removal on the west side of Highland Drive between I-80 and Wilmington Avenue. Additional work includes water line installation between Sugarmont Avenue and Wilmington Avenue. Pedestrians should follow the posted detour signs to access the east side of Highland Drive.
As early as July 25, crews will begin preparations to place the new curb and gutter on the west side of Highland Drive.
During this work, individual business accesses may be closed intermittently for periods up to 4 hours while concrete is placed and allowed to cure enough to be plated.
The Vue Parking Garage Access
To facilitate water line replacement, the Highland Drive entrance to The Vue’s parking garage will have intermittent closures through Thursday, July 27.
Residents and Patrons to The Vue and neighboring businesses should use the entrance on Elm Avenue for access to the parking garage (see map for the detour route).
The traffic signal at Simpson Avenue and Highland Drive will be flashing and operating as a three-way stop through August while crews complete intersection work.
Please remember to treat this as a three-way stop and watch for pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists.
INTERIMMITENT ACCESS CLOSURES TUESDAY, JUNE 20
On Tuesday, June 20, intermittent access closures are planned during the day while crews prepare the east side of Highland Drive in advance of paving later this week. Drivers can expect temporary, short-term access closures while equipment passes the Sugar House Shopping Center, Simpson Avenue, and Stringham Avenue.
Only one access will be impacted at a time. Once the contractor grades the roadbase, metal plates will be installed and the accesses reopened.
Plan for extra time to access the shopping center and destinations east of Highland Drive. Motorists can use 1300 East as an alternate route.
Please remember that Highland Drive is open for southbound traffic only.
Due to unforeseen utility issues, the southbound only extension from Wilmington Avenue and 2100 South has been delayed. Once a new date has been confirmed, we will share that with you.
Motorists and pedestrians are reminded to stay out of the construction areas and watch for construction vehicles entering and exiting the work zones.
Pedestrians should use extra caution while crossing the roadway due to uneven walking surfaces and gravel on the roadway.
- Thursday, May 11 – The intersection of Driggs Avenue and Highland Drive will be closed starting at 8:00 AM for asphalt milling and paving. Those who need to access Driggs Avenue will be required to use the detour route. Highland Drive will remain open for southbound traffic. The intersection should reopen by 5:00 PM.
- Friday, May 12 – The intersections of Parkway Avenue/Highland Drive and Warnock Avenue/Highland Drive will be closed starting at 8:00 AM for asphalt milling and paving. Detour traffic should use Douglas Street to Whitlock Avenue as an alternate route. Highland Drive will remain open for southbound traffic. The intersections should reopen by 5:00 PM
- Friday, May 12 – The intersection of Stringham Avenue and Highland Drive will be closed starting at 4:00 AM for water line work. Traffic should use Simpson Avenue to access the Sugar House Shopping Center, University of Utah Health Center, Park Avenue Apartments, and 1260 Park Avenue Offices. Highland Drive will remain open for southbound traffic. The intersection should reopen by noon.
Area South of I-80
- Crews will continue to complete water tie-ins for businesses and residences SOUTH of I-80 on May 11th. Impacted homeowners and businesses will be notified individually.
- Crews will complete concrete work on the new valves and in other sections as early as May 15th.
- Landscping crews will begin to make repairs to individual parkstrip landscaping once the concrete works is completed (middle to end of May). Contractors will contact each residence during this process.
Area North of I-80
- Crews will continue water line installation and storm drain replacement north of I-80 through Wilmington Avenue.
- Crews will complete water tie-ins for select businesses and residences near Stringham Avenue on May 12th. Impacted homeowners and businesses will be notified individually.
- Crews have removed all of the curb and gutter on the east side of Highland Drive from Driggs Avenue to Wilmington Avenue. As early as May 15th, crews will begin placing the new curb and gutter.
Other Area Projects
Construction for the next phase of the McClelland Shared Street has started and scheduled to be completed in the middle of June.
No parking is allowed on either side of McClelland Street where active construction is taking place.
Work on the west side of McClelland Street is nearly complete and once completed, crews will begin work on the east side.
Once completed, McClelland Street (from Sugarmont Drive to 2100 South) will have more space for:
- Trees and Enhanced Landscaping
- Outdoor Dining and Additional Art Displays
- Safer Pedestrian Crossings and
- Expanded Bicycle Areas